The favorable evolution of EU sales on the US market
In Q4-2018 US import of goods from the EU reached a new high point, exceeding - for the first time - 110 billion euros.
Published by Marcello Antonioni. .Intermediate goods Industrial equipment Conjuncture Consumption pattern United States of America Global economic trends
Log in to use the pretty print function and embed function.
Aren't you signed up yet? Log in!
In the fourth quarter of 2018, euro-denominated values of US imports from the EU area1 reached for the first time 110 billion euros; anyways, when evaluating these results, it is important to take into account the slight depreciation of the single currency against the dollar (about 3% compared to the fourth quarter of 2017).
This is a record of EU sales for many industries
As regards consumer goods, the EU has recorded excellent sales performances in the following sectors:
- Healthcare Products and Medical Equipment, which exceeded € 20 billion in Q4-2018 (€20.7 billion), with a 2-digit Year-over-Year growth - for the third time in a row - compared to 2017;
- Packaged Food and Beverage, 5.3 billion euro in the fourth quarter of 2018 (+7.3% compared to the same quarter in 2017);
- Fashion and other Personal Products, 8.1 billion euros in the last quarter, equal to a Y-o-Y increase which exceeds 6 percentage points (+7% on an annual basis);
- Finished Products for the Home, 1.8 billion euros in the last quarter, equal to an Y-o-Y increase of about 6 percentage points (+5.6% on an annual basis).
It is also worth mentioning that US imports from the EU of Consumer packaged goods (other than food) grew by 6.2% in 2018.
With regard to investment goods, the maximum values of EU sales must be highlighted:
- Machinery, exceeding 2.8 billion euros in the 4th quarter 2018 (+12.6% Year-over-Year, with a cumulative annual growth equal to 8.8%);
- Tools and Equipment for the industry, close to 4 billion euros, with a 6.2% increase compared to the corresponding quarter of 2017 (+4.5% on an annual basis).
It is also worth mentioning that US imports of Industrial Plants from the EU grew by 6.2% in euro on an annual basis, while imports of Tools and equipment for ICT and services increased by +2.7%.
Regarding intermediate goods, US imports from the EU reached 6.3 billion euros for
Fine Chemicals and Specialties, with an annual increase of over 4 billion.
New maximum on an annual basis also for Unpacked Food (exceeding 3.2 billion euros), Metal intermediate goods (9.9 billion euros, an increase of 6% compared to 2017) and Building Materials and Products (€ 3.8 billion, a 3.5% increase compared to 2017).
Finally, significant Y-o-Y increases also for Fabrics and Leather (+8.3% in euro, which follows the +8.4% increase in the previous quarter), Pulp & Paper and Forest Products (also up by more than 8 percentage points in euro) and Ceramics Glass and Refractories (+5.7%).