Catering Equipment: the growing international importance of the sector
In the last decade especially the High and Medium-High price-bands increased
Published by Marcello Antonioni. .Premium price Internationalisation Global demand Check performance International marketing
Log in to use the pretty print function and embed function.
Aren't you signed up yet? Log in!
The Catering Equipment sector represents a business undergoing significant growth at an international level.
An intensification of world trade of Catering Equipment is taking place
In the last century it was typically a business with local markets, with a world trade that did not reach € 9 billion, while
in the new century (and especially in the current decade) the Catering Equipment sector underlined an increasing international dimension.
In the last decade, despite the effects of the Great Recession, global trade of the sector has increased by over 10 billion euros,
exceeding 27 billion euros last year.
In the forecast to 2021, global trade of Catering Equipment is expected to exceed 31 billion euros.
In particular, in the Cooking1 business unit, the international flows of catering equipment exceeded 8 billion euros last year; in the Refrigeration2 business unit the threshold of 14 billion euro was exceeded in 2018; in the Washing3 business unit the world trade has approached 5 billion euros value.
In the last decade especially the High and Medium-High price-ranges increased
The acceleration of international trade in professional equipment mainly concerns premium-price segments.
The worldwide sales of high and medium-high price band of Catering Equipment products have, in fact, risen from 4.8 billion euros
in 2008 (28% of the total) to 12 billion euros last year, reaching a 43 percent share of total industry flows.
In particular, for the Cooking business unit, world trade flows related to the highest price band exceeded € 5 billion (65% of the total, compared with a 49% share ten years earlier) last year; the trade of Refrigeration business unit has amounted to 5.4 billion euros (compared with 1.9 billion in 2008) and the world trade of High and Medium-High price band Washing products reached the record threshold of one billion euros.
The Italian international leadership
In 2018 Italy (widely the leading European exporter) was confirmed at the first place overall in the ranking of world exporters of Catering Equipment sector,
preceding, albeit slightly, China, according to the StudiaBo pre-estimates formulated within the Ulisse Information System.
From values of just over 2 billion euros at the end of the last decade (following the effects of the Great Recession),
since 2010 Italian exports of Catering Equipment have been showing
particularly accelerated dynamics, exceeding in the last two years 3.5 billion euros.
In particular, in 2018 overseas sales of companies in the sector recorded a Year-over-Year increase of +6.4% (corresponding to an increase in turnover of +225 million euros).
Top Worldwide Exporters in 2018 (Millions €)
|Professional Equipment for cooking||Machines and equipment for bakery|
|Chests, cabinets, display cabinets and showcases||Dishwasher industrial-type|
The best records of the Italian export are, specifically, can be attributed to:
- the Cooking business unit:
- with a market share of 18.7% worldwide, Italy is the world's 1st exporter of Coffee Machines and other professional cooking appliances, before Germany;
- in addition, with a global market share of 29.1%, Italy is by far the world's 1st exporter of Machines and equipment for bakery;
- the Refrigeration business unit: Italy, with a market share of 16.6% in 2018, contends to China (17.3%) the 1st place in the world of exports of Chests, cabinets, display cabinets and showcases;
- least but not last, the Washing business unit: Italy - with an estimated market share in 2018 close to 29% - contends to Germany the 1st place in the world of exports of Dishwasher industrial type.
1) The products of the Catering Equipment sector analyzed for the Cooking business unit are as follows:
2) The products of the Catering Equipment sector analyzed for the Refrigeration business unit are as follows:
3) The products of the Catering Equipment sector analyzed for the Washing business unit are as follows: